Saturday, March 21, 2009

askmoxie.com, how I love thee.

askmoxie.com is an amusing Q&A parenting blog that I read somewhat regularly, and today I came across possibly the greatest 2 paragraphs about parenting ever written.

You know, the more I think about this, the more I think your friends are giving you bad information. There is a ton of stuff that comes up in parenting that you have NO CONTROL over, so to imply that people who are "prepared" (and what does that mean, anyway?) are going to have an easier time with parenting is magical thinking. You can read every book, take every class, buy every product available, and be super-positive that motherhood is going to be the apex of self-actualization, and your kid might come out colicky or with reflux or with delays or trouble latching or high-intensity or any other thing that makes parenting super-challenging.
Honestly, it makes me a little angry that someone thinks everything's going so well for her because of something she did! That basically means that she thinks that people who have problems with their babies are having problems because they haven't done things the right way. That's insulting, misogynistic, and ridiculous.

yes, yes it is, Moxie. Thanks for reminding me.

The whole post is worth a read and can be found here:
http://www.askmoxie.org/2009/03/qa-having-a-baby-worries.html

No comments: