Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Moving Right Along

So we moved into our new house, and although this new house has approximately 1 closet, 3 (total) electrical outlets and is crawling with mice, I couldn't be happier that we are no longer living in Copake. I will say that as moves go, this was a pretty brutal one, and it's not like we don't have practice. I realized this weekend that Andy and I have moved together 7 times since we've been together, and that's a heck of a lot of moving. In case your doubt my math: we moved in together to 2205 West Grace. Then we moved to 2 Avalon Drive in Marlborough. From there to 160 Stanton Ave in Newton, then a brief stint at 24 Lyons Court, then to 55 Cerdan Ave, then to 1501 County Rt 7A, and now, here, to Lakeville. And I'm not even counting the fact that just after we met I moved to a new apartment, and between us meeting and us moving in together, Andy moved from his apartment in Lincoln Park to a friend's condo downtown. However, as little fun as all those moves were (especially the one when I was 8 months pregnant) this one was probably the worst - both for me, because I had the one of the worst bouts of stomach flu I've ever experienced (the remnants of which are still plaguing me 3 days later) and for the people that actually did the moving and the watching of the children (if it were not for my tireless brother in law and our amazing friends Sharon and Erik, our heels would still cooling in Copake). The timing of the move was bad to start with - Thanksgiving the previous week so we were travelling, I just started a new job working a normal days schedule and have no ability to take time off for 6 months, and Andy was really busy at work the week before - and then when Elias got sent home from school on Thursday vomiting with scarcely a box packed (foreshadowing! foreshadowing!) we knew things had the potential to go off the rails. Which, of course, they did. Most of my perspective of the move is comes from with my cheek pressed to the floor of the bathroom tile, but I'll tell you that from there it didn't look like much fun. We were much less packed than we should have been, the truck wasn't big enough to get it all in one go (or even two), the kids were cranky and still had a touch of sick themselves, and so overall you can probably imagine, it was a bit of a situation. On the bright side, however, we're now settling into our new house in Lakeville, which despite being old, mousy and a bit hard to live in (storage and furniture placement are a bit of an issue at the moment) is very close to everywhere we need to go so the 50 minute commute I've been slogging through each way is now toast. We're now 2 miles from Andy's work and about 8 miles from mine, and the boys' school is 1.5 miles down the road. And, when Owen goes to pre-k next year, the town elementary and middle school is right across the street! Since we now live in a place where schools serve a VERY large geographic area, and you could be putting your kid on a bus for an hour to the "local" elementary school, I'm very happy about that. Also, we knew the house was a bit of a fixer-upper when we looked at it, and we think that it can be fixed-up (in a little while, not right away) in such a way so that it will be much more liveable (and hopefully much less mousy and with a few more electrical outlets) without too much disruption and money. I think those are probably on the list of "famous last words" but we're in the bright side paragraph right now, so I'm going to let it slide. We seem to be in a really great little neighborhood, and the house next door to us just got sold to a family with to babysitting age daughters which is another plus. I haven't taken any pictures of the house yet because it's still in complete disarray - I still feel badly and we had to go back to work on Monday after moving over the weekend, so we've scarcely had time to unpack anything but the most essential boxes. You know, the trucks, the bedtime stories and the fireman hats. The stuff we can't get through the week without. Hopefully next weekend we'll have some free time to put the house to rights and I'll post some photos of the new digs.

No comments: