Thursday, November 19, 2009

Dear Dr. Ferber

Dear Dr. Ferber,

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for calling you an overhyped quack who doesn't know what he's talking about. I know we've never met and so technically I could have gotten away without apologizing, but I believe in giving credit where credit is due and I feel badly for maligning your good name for the past 20 months. After a third reading of the revised edition of "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems", I have finally realized that I was not following your instructions precisely as laid out in your treatment plan, and so was judging the results unfairly.I have now learned that it is important to adhere to the letter rather than just the spirit of the program, and I also finally sucked it up and let Owen cry for 5 (yes 5) hours without breaking down and letting him get some sleep in either my bed or his. I even observed the full 10 minute waiting period before going in for each check in and back pat, a period of time which hertofore has seemed excessive and I have always capped at 5 minutes. Miracle of miracles, for the first time in almost two years, we seem to be making headway on the sleep issue. Last night Owen slept in his own bed for the whole night, with only two minimal episodes of crying and both times was resettled without a parent getting into his bed, just like you said would happen if we followed the program exactly as written. Amazing.
I promise to follow all your instructions from now on, even though it's going to make us far less flexible than we would otherwise be for the next 30 days. I will not doubt you again.

Your devoted servant and biggest fan,

Jenny

No comments: