Monday, March 11, 2013

When life gives you Berkshires, make your children appreciate nature.

Yesterday all of us wanted to get. out. of. the. house. It was a little muddy and a still pretty snowy, but it was almost 50 degrees and we are ready for spring! The winter here can be long and if you don't ski (we don't, but maybe the kids will be interested in a few years) make you feel a little stir crazy. We are lucky - the Appalachian Trail crosses a scant mile from our house, so we headed out for a little late winter/early spring hiking.

Andy was so relieved to find out that over the winter, Elias made the jump from must-be-carried-most-of-of-the-ascent to needs-occasional-assist. He achieved his first summit under his own steam! One "benefit" of a bad back is that I've been historically exempt from hauling small children up mountains, so needless to say this was as much a banner day for Andy as it was for Elias.




I also finished a little navy pinafore dress I've been working on for ages yesterday: I made the pattern in size 18 months and it fits my friend's 4 1/2 year old perfectly, so, clearly the pattern ran big. I am relieved to see the backside of this project. You can't really see in the photo but I made the mistake of using tiny needles for this one - although the finished product is cute it was boring as heck. I have some much more interesting projects I'm looking forward to starting.




All in all we had the nicest kind of Sunday.

No comments: