Friday, December 18, 2009

A rose by any other name?

This blog doesn't usually generate many comments, but I'm actually actively seeking opinions on this one. So if you have one, chime in.

The baby currently still cooking has been named for about 15 weeks now. After a surprising amount of debate, given our very quick selection and approval process with Owen, we picked a name that we thought had a good balance of uncommon and normal. That is to say, it wasn't Joe, but it wasn't Dweezil, either.

This not-too-common name, however, has turned out to be much more Joe-like than we thought. Despite the fact that prior to choosing it I knew only one little boy with this name, I have since met or heard of (through mom friends and friends of mom-friends, or seen written on cubbies at Owen's school) a total of 8 more, just in my reasonably small network alone. I'm starting to feel like now maybe our name is a little overnamed. Not that it's terrible to have a common name, but the whole point was to avoid a situation where what Jennifer is to 1980 my kid's name is to 2010, you know? Then again, I grew up as a Jennifer, and it was fine. I never felt super put out about having a very common name. But, I certainly did wish my name was Katrina for a number of years (number of Jennifers in my graduating 8th grade class: approximately 30. Number of Katrinas: 1). In retrospect, I suppose I am now glad my name isn't Katrina, but that's neither here nor there.

Anyway, without writing the name (although I am aware there are some readers who already know it), what do you think? Go with what is turning out to be a very popular name, because it was our first choice and we like it? Or go back to the drawing board and come up with another name that is normal, but a little more unique? 2 or 3 years ago when 1 in 3 girls were being named Madison I remember wondering what all those parents were thinking. Now I feel like we're in the same boat. The reason I'm not sharing the actual name is because it's not about the name, its about the relative popularity of the name. Meaning, I'm looking for objective opinions.

If we like the name, does it matter if it's really common? Or is it better to avoid the trendy names, and go with something a little more classic?

7 comments:

Lauren Trahan said...

I'm a horrible person to ask. I agree with your decision to not tell us the name (because doing so is one of the only reasons Hannah is Hannah and not Kiera). Mike was dead set against Emma due to concerns over it's popularity. Well, popularity and the fact that his cousin named her dog Emma (who names a bulldog Emma?)

I am of the mindset that you have to call that child by that name EVERY day. So, rather than obsess on the fact that their are a bunch of other kids with that name, I feel it should sound good when yelled. With every name we considered, I stood at the bottom of the stairs and yelled "SEAN PATRICK TRAHAN GET DOWN HERE NOW!" If it doesn't roll off your tongue when you yell it, it should be vetoed.

Don't get me wrong, it is annoying to sit in a doctor's office, here "Michael?" and be one of five other parents who stand up. While there might be a million other Michaels, but there is only one "Mikie Trahan" (and boy does he know it).

And now for my unsolicited opinion: I think Liam Cox sounds nice. It fits with "Love, Andy, Jenny, Owen & Liam" when you sign cards, has a nice balance of hard and soft sounds when combined with your last name. And, it's a good Irish name, which will go nicely if he has his brother's red hair. Not that you asked. Just in case you decide a less common name is more important to you. . .

Anonymous said...

OMG. I do not know what to tell you about the name situation but it is driving me NUTS that you are not sharing the name!

Anonymous said...

This is special. A chance to actually be solicited for one's opinion! As a reader who knows the name for baby Cox #2, I personally feel you should name the child what you like. That is what middle names and nicknames are actually for. When children don't like their first name, they can go by their middle one or make one up. Also I personally think that children don't actually like to be named too far out of the norm. Sometimes there is comfort having a name that isn't too strange to their peers and one that is popular for the time. On the other hand, there can be benefits for having a very unique name, especially for jocks, such as"Tiger" because there is no confusion about who you are referring to and sets one apart (This can be a problem when graffiti is left on bathroom walls since there is no ambiguity to rely on though.) But when your given name is Eldrick, (not so cool) I go back to my original premise that kids will use other, cooler, names to identify themself. So to sum up, I would go with what you like. As far as names such as Dweezil and Moon Unit go though, I wonder what Zappa was thinking or more likely smoking.

Ashley said...

Hey Jenny! I thought I might as well weigh in...

What a dilemma. While I hate trendy names as much as the next guy, and think that one day the Olivias of the world are going to revolt against their parents for naming them Olivia of all things, I think you should go with the name you've decided on.

Anyone who knows you, knows that you would never have decided on a name because it was the flavor of the month. Besides, it's how you've been thinking of the baby for weeks (or months) now, and the poor guy might have an identity crisis if you changed at this point. Not a good way to start life.

I'm sure whatever you have chosen will turn out to be just as normal as Owen without being expected.

Kate said...

I think you should go with the name you like the best. Even if it's too popular. Some of the names Dave and I have thought about are very popular, which was also one of my concerns, but that being said I really don't think that should make or break a decision. As long as you like it, that's what should matter the most.

Michael said...

Please dont go with a trendy name, that will only show that your shallow.

Go with something that actaully means something to you and your partner. My name is very very common and I love it. "Michael" is my name and its been great. I had only 1 other Michael in my class's while growing up. I do have an unusual middle name that I often use in conjunction with my first and last in so that I stay distinguished or at least try to.

But my mom tells me that she was going to name me Ramon..for a chubby white kid in central IL being a Ramon would not have worked..

As I said before, go with something that means something, dont worry about what others think, thats why we have a lot of problems with kids now.. were so worried what others will think..

thats my 2cents

Kim Paquette said...

I agree - name him what you want. When I was in school there were ALWAYS at least 2 other Kims - if not more - in my classes. And it didn't bother me too much.

That said I get not wanting to pick one of "those" names - Like Madison, or Emma or any of the other overused names. Marc and I always said we'd name a girl Sophie - because that was his great great grandmothers name - and then it turns out it's one of "those" names now, too! But it wouldn't have mattered - because it meant something to us.