Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Things that make you go hmmmmm....

I saw my midwife yesterday because I mistook back spasms for contractions. This is kind of embarrassing, especially since this isn't my first baby and I've experienced contractions before so you'd think I'd know what they feel like, but I'm not going to beat myself up about it. If you're 35 weeks along and have episodes of severe pain across your lower back that come along every hour or so, you can be forgiven for thinking they are contractions. As it turns out, however, this baby is no closer to the light of day than he was a few days ago, but they were extremely painful. Anyway, the point of the story is that I left the office with a prescription for tylenol with codeine. Right on the prescription it says 'take every 4 hours as needed'. When the midwife suggested it I asked her skeptically if taking codeine was really safe while pregnant (editor's note: I am not actually planning on filling this prescription, assurances of safety or no) and she assured me that there was nothing to worry about.

Now, I'd just like to volunteer that it's a little odd that taking tylenol with codeine every 4 hours as needed is absolutely nothing to worry about, but caffeine, deli meat, soft cheeses and the occasional glass of wine are all on the official pregnancy forbidden list. I mean, really, makes you think twice about declining that turkey sandwich, or second cup of coffee, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Joy said...

As someone who healthily imbibed in all of the forbiddens and suffered those knifing back pains earlier in my term with Ella, I say TAKE THE CODEINE! The extra fingers and toes will help distinguish your son from all the other kids in his class with the same name.

Lauren Trahan said...

With Mikie, I had one of the most painful migraines about 3 weeks before he arrived. Nothing they gave me could control it, and the doctor's were concerned because the pain was causing my blood pressure to rise. So, they gave me a narcotic by IV, followed by a prescription. And, with the exception of being very active (which other children are too), I think Mikie is normal. So, go with the Codeine. You need the rest and comfort before you DO go into labor.

Feel better.